Friday, November 9, 2007

4 Months Post-op

I’m 4 months post-op today. I have so many things to be thankful for...and many of them are really just about my life in general.

First, I am thankful for my little boy, who is the absolute light of my life and gives me great reason to want to be the best human being I can be. He has been my teacher with regards to unconditional love, joy, compassion and sensitivity. He is the absolute best thing to ever come into my life. Without him, I probably would not have cared enough about myself or my life to have undertaken this surgery that is changing my life so much. It is because I wanted to make sure I would be around for him as he grows up, and it is because I want to enjoy my time with him, that I considered the risks of surgery worth taking.

I am thankful for the time I had with my mother...and in a strange way, as much as I miss her, and this will sound very strange, I am grateful for the events which led up to my surgery...that is, she passed away very unexpectedly (which I am NOT thankful for)...but the shock of it, the loss of my mother at age 38 after losing my father when I was 20, well, made me realize that I could not and would not continue living my life as I had. I needed to make some big changes and her death was the impetus for many of those changes.

I am grateful for my wonderful friends who have supported me throughout this journey so far, who may not understand everything I am going through, but who are there nonetheless, to listen, to love, to lend a helping hand when I need it. We don't get to pick our families...but we do get to pick our friends and I have some of the greatest on this Earth, I have no doubt.

I am grateful for an incredibly competent and compassionate weight loss surgery team for their physical and emotional care with me. My 4 month labs are back and everything looks great (except my B-12 is actually high, so we'll have to figure out how much to cut back on my B-12 sublingual). I am so grateful that I have so many wonderful years ahead of me and that I now have the hope that I will find love and companionship throughout my life.

I am grateful for ObesityHelp and the people I am getting to know there who have really become much like extended family. The support I have gotten there is tremendous and the importance of which cannot be overstated, ever.

No comments: