Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's actually 2009. Wow! The year 2008 will seriously go down in history for me. It was a year of tremendous change, physically, personally, emotionally. I continued to work on changing my body size/shape/condition, I changed jobs, I turned 40, I began dating someone seriously. I had the realization/thought the other day that my life is likely more than half over. And the past 20 years that I have grown and changed since being that young adult in tremendous emotional turmoil, well, in another 20 years I'll be nearing retirement. How did time come to move so quickly?!?!

I find myself thinking that I need to make damn sure I make the absolute best of these years I have ahead of me. Life is indeed too short to wait for anything. If I want it, I'm going for it. If I don't know what it is I want, well, then it's worth the effort to figure that out or at the very least enjoy every last second of where I'm at in the NOW. One of the books I've been reading (slowly, very, very slowly) is by Eckhart Tolle. I must admit that I have to take the book in really little doses so that I can actually grasp what he's saying. Makes me wonder sometimes if I'm just really that dense or my mind really just struggles that much with appreciating/enjoying/living in the NOW (instead of the past or future). In looking on his website this morning, this quote was there:

"When you are present in this moment, you break the continuity of your story, of past and future. Then true intelligence arises, and also love. The only way love can come into your life is not through form, but through that inner spaciousness that is Presence. Love has no form."

I think I'm going to contemplate that thought today...there's a lot there and I think it has great value. There are many things which occurred in 2008 that continuously pointed to me needing to focus on staying in the now...the lesson is apparently very necessary for me. I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. My philosophy is that if something in my life needs to change and I recognize it, there's no better time than the present. It is always the case that one never knows when something else is going to come up. Life has a funny way of throwing curve balls and screw balls and the only thing you CAN count on is that those things will happen and you will never be able to be completely prepared for it...so best to learn how to roll with it. If I've learned nothing else in this life it's that there is no shortage of my own issues to grapple with on any given day, but it has gotten much easier for the most part over the years. Yes, there are the "core" ones that get kicked off periodically, but even those are getting easier to recognize quickly and rebound from when placed in perspective.

Happy 2009! May it be a year filled with laughter, love, learning and light!

No comments: