Thursday, April 2, 2009

Big Step

I have always been pretty terrified of even considering plastic surgery as a post-op. I look fine in clothing. But out of clothing, my breasts are sadly very wrinkled and deflated and my belly is extremely wrinkled and deflated looking. There's not really any fat there left to fill it out. And while it isn't awful, it does bother me sometimes. I will wear form-fitting clothing and when I sit down, I still have rolls. My breasts are more or less rolled up into my bra. Lately, I have been thinking that I have just worked too hard working out, eating right, taking care of myself to still feel like I look fat (yes, sometimes that's how I feel when I see these rolls of skin). I know that I have fared better than many, many people with regards to skin issues. It still bothers me. Pictures follow at the end of the blog entry.

I have a friend who had a circumferential lower body lift post-WLS...and she had a lot of complications. She spent the better part of 8 months in and out of the hospital, lots of surgeries for necrotic tissue, etc. Being a single mother of a fairly young child still, the idea of this kind of recovery to begin with, let alone if I had a complication, has made plastic surgery something I would not even consider. But, more and more I have been thinking that it wouldn't hurt just to find out what my options are and what the cost would be.

So, today I called and scheduled a consult for an hour. May 8th. Can't hurt to ask, right? Better to be informed...always.







2 comments:

Janine said...

Hi Amy - Just found your blog, and I hear where you are coming from. I have so far lost 75.kgs....(165 lbs) and I am getting skin issues, however still have about 30lbs to go before getting to goal. I am starting to feel bad about my body although have always said I would never have surgery.

However I really can't afford to do it, i would certinaly ask the questions and find out what is involved and how much. Maybe work on the areas that bother you the most.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
  Pat suggested I read your blog as I'm beginning the evaluation process for WLS (via laproscopic RNY) at NSMC and I must say you are one of the strongest, bravest women I've had the pleasure of learning about. It's crystal clear to even a blind person that you have made enormous leaps and bounds to improving yourself and I deeply admire you for that.
  If you've ever been on a plane the attendants say if there's a problem inflight to always put your air mask on first before helping others. We've got to help ourselves before we're able to help anyone else.
  When you have time, I wonder if I may ask you a few questions about your post-op experience?
  Thank you for sharing your WLS experiences, your fears, hopes, and goals. Best wishes for continuing success and healthy living!
Sincerely,
  Leah R.